What Is Covenant Membership?
Covenant Membership is a way of meaningfully joining yourself to the community of believers at Mercy Hill Church. We remember that the church is not something we attend but something we are in Christ. Covenant Membership is a way of committing to live this identity out with one another before God.
At Mercy Hill, we've established Covenant Membership as a formal way of encouraging in our church what the Scriptures already call us to be and do:
- The local church is called to be a covenant community joined to the Lord and to one another in intimate, committed, and accountable relationships (cf. 1 Cor 10:16-17; 12:12-27; Eph 4:15-16; Col 3:12-17; Heb 10:19-25).
- The local church is called to pursue a unity in faith, community, and mission that is both deep and profound (cf. Acts 2:42-47; Eph 4:1-6).
- All Christians are called by God into His family and should not attempt to walk alone (cf. Gen 2:18; Prov 18:1; John 19:26-27; Gal 4:4-5; 1 Tim 3:15).
- Leaders are called to know, shepherd, and lay their lives down for the particular members God puts under their care (cf. Acts 20:28; 1 Pet 5:1-4).
- Members are called to know, follow, and honor the particular leaders God sets over them in Christ (cf. 1 Thess 5:12-13; 1 Tim 5:17; Heb 13:17; 1 Pet 5:5).
Again, a formal process of church membership simply promotes these things (and much more) and helps to provide a framework for developing them in our church.
How Do I Become a Covenant Member?
We have put together a Covenant Membership Class for those interested in formally joining themselves to our local church. The class is self-directed but leader-assisted. Critical to this process is the Covenant Membership Notebook (which can be downloaded here or picked up in hard copy on a Sunday morning at the Resource Table in the back of the sanctuary).
As the notebook will outline further for you, there are three basic steps to becoming a Covenant Member at Mercy Hill Church:
a. Submit the Covenant Membership Class Registration Form to let us know that you are beginning the class.
We will pair you with a Covenant Membership Sponsor (one of our church leaders) so that they can assist you throughout this process. Do not hesitate to reach out to them with any questions/concerns that you have. That is why they are there!
b. Complete the six sessions of the Covenant Membership Series.
For each session, listen to the audio and read through the corresponding material in the notebook (see the Class Checklist and Sample Workflow in your notebook for more details).
- Session 1: An Introduction to Church Membership | Part 1
- Session 2: An Introduction to Church Membership | Part 2
- Session 3: An Introduction to Mercy Hill Church
- Session 4: Our Faith: How We Know and Love the Lord
- Session 5: Our Community: How We Know and Love the Church
- Session 6: Our Mission: How We Know and Love the World
c. Fill out and submit the Covenant Membership Class Survey.
Please let us know how you feel after taking the class. We want to be available to help if you have any questions about the material in particular or Mercy Hill in general.
a. Fill out and submit the Covenant Membership Application Form.
If, after taking the class, you are excited and desire to be a Covenant Member of Mercy Hill Church, this form is for you!
b. Meet with an Elder for the Covenant Membership Conversation.
After we have received your application, we will reach out to you to schedule the Covenant Membership Conversation. This meeting will take place between you, your Sponsor (if they're available), and an Elder. It gives us a chance to hear more of your spiritual story, answer any of your questions, and help you along your way to becoming a Covenant Member at Mercy Hill.
c. Sign the Church Covenant.
This will take place in person at the end of the Covenant Membership Conversation meeting. The Council of Elders will then prayerfully recommend you for Covenant Membership to the current Covenant Members of Mercy Hill Church.
You will be welcomed into Covenant Membership on a Welcome Sunday during the service. At this time, the spirit of the Church Covenant you signed will be invoked through the exchanging of vows.
Upon completion of these steps, you would then be formally considered a Covenant Member of Mercy Hill Church! We would be so thrilled to join ourselves together with you in pursuit of Christ and His mission in this city and the world!