Good morning Mercy Hill! If you're new with us, we just wanted to extend a special welcome to you. Feel free to fill out a Connection Card to get more info or prayer. We're glad to have you with us!
If you're tuning in for the Watch Party, you'll notice that the platform has tabs where you can find today's Worship Guide, read an online Bible, and even chat. While we're meeting virtually like this, we'd encourage everyone to please consider taking a moment to put a comment in the chat box there. Let us know who you are and maybe where you're tuning in from. Say hi. We miss you! And as we get into the message, feel free to share other Scriptures that come to mind, prayer requests that you have, questions that you'd like answered, etc. It would be great to interact even in this limited format.
Here are a few critical announcements to keep in mind:
- Men of Prayer Video Series: Mercy Hill men! Let's stay connected through this lock down period. Come join us for an 8-week Zoom video series running Tuesdays @ 4:30-5:30 pm. In this one-hour session, men will view a new men’s video series (Mighty Men of Prayer) which covers 8 key topics for modern Christian men and their lives. After the 15-minute video, the session will be facilitated through key questions for follow-up discussion and prayer. Though the series has already begun, you can jump in at any time. You can find more info and sign up here.
- Sunday Service Afterparty: Remember to join us immediately following the Watch Party via Zoom for the Afterparty (which today will include a time for connections and prayer). You can find a link to join in here.
- Mercy Hill Kids Online Worship: Beginning at 11:30am today! Go here to read more and to find a link to sign in!
- - - - - - -
- Home Groups: All groups have now moved to a virtual format. Find one to join here. You are not alone!
- COVID-19 SOS Form: If you or anyone you know needs help during this challenging time, we'd love to do what we can!
- Neighborhood Care Cards: With the shelter-in-place order extending for yet another month, please consider making use of these cards as a way of reaching out to and serving your neighbors. You can get more info regarding these in the last section of this post.
Title: Do Not Be Afraid . . . God Will Fulfill His Purpose for You! (Part 2)
Text: Acts 27:21-32
Preacher: Nick Weber
Manuscript: If you appreciate following along with written material, you can find today's manuscript here.
- Have you ever felt like your life is a sinking ship? In what ways can you relate to these men and their hopelessness expressed in v. 20?
- Review the tension in our text again. Look at the promise of vv. 22-25 in contrast with the warning of v. 31. What do you make of it? How do you bring these two things together? Can a few renegade sailors upend the plans and purposes of almighty God? If not, is Paul just bluffing here—like a parent threatening his child with a punishment he knows he won't administer? Again, how are we to understand these things? Where else in Scripture have you seen this tension? Where else in Scripture do you find help for interpretation and understanding? Will God uphold His promises to us and fulfill His good purposes for us, or not?
- If God will uphold His promises to us and fulfill His good purposes for us, do human choices and actions even matter? When Paul says in Eph 1:11 that God "works all things according to the counsel of His will" does that mean we can just sit back and coast, or even walk in sin, and all will still progress just fine and without consequence?
- Read Jude 20-21, 24-25. What stands out to you? What ministers to you? How do you make sense both of the call to keep and the promise of keeping here? How might these verses apply to and influence your life this week?
Call to Response
If you need prayer in any way, please either: (1) request it during the Watch Party via the "Request Prayer" button; (2) fill out a Connection Card; or (3) post your request to our Mercy Hill Community Facebook Group. We’d love to be lifting you up and caring for you in this time!
If you’d like to give an offering this morning, please check out our Give page to find the best option for you!
Mercy Hill Kids
While difficult, this pandemic does create a wonderful chance for parents to step towards their God-given call as chief disciplers of their kids. We know this may feel overwhelming and that is why we want to help! Parents of Mercy Hill children should have already received an email from the Director of Mercy Hill Kids, Christina Lugo, regarding ways you can utilize the Gospel Project curriculum at home. This information has also been included on our blog here. Beyond this, each Sunday, we are also looking to host an online worship gathering for our kids. You can check here for more details. We'd love to have you join us!
If you have any questions or need help in any way, don't hesitate to reach out to Christina at
Have a Wonderful Week!