August 2, 2020 - Sunday Service Worship Guide
Good morning Mercy Hill and happy Sunday to you! If you're new with us, we just wanted to extend a special welcome to you. Feel free to fill out a Connection Card to get more info or prayer. We're glad to have you with us!
If you're tuning in for the Watch Party, you'll notice that the platform has tabs where you can find today's Worship Guide, read an online Bible, and even chat. While we're meeting virtually like this, we'd encourage everyone to please consider taking a moment to put a comment in the chat box there. Let us know who you are and maybe where you're tuning in from. Say hi. We miss you! And as we get into the message, feel free to share other Scriptures that come to mind, prayer requests that you have, questions that you'd like answered, etc. It would be great to interact even in this limited format.
Here are a few critical announcements to keep in mind:
- Mercy Hill Youth Hangout: All Mercy Hill Youth are invited for an online hangout after service on Sunday, August 9th! Come spend an hour catching up in fellowship, prayer, and sharing. We look forward to seeing you there! We will be meeting using Zoom's video conferencing platform - you can find the details for joining the meeting here.
- All Church Prayer Meeting: This Sunday's All Church Prayer meeting will be hosted in-person at the Wilson's residence and will take place in their yard for a safe, socially-distanced meeting (RSVP required). Please come wearing a mask as well if you plan to attend! For more info and to RSVP click here.
- Foster The Bay Interest Meetings: Our church is a partner with Foster The Bay, an organization that inspires local churches to develop a sustainable, effective foster care ministry. They're hosting virtual interest meetings during this season and we'd encourage anyone to attend and find out about unique ways to care for a child in the foster care system. Interest meetings provide a low-pressure, no commitment opportunity for you to learn more. To sign up for a virtual interest meeting, click the link here. Once you fill out the form, you will receive an email with the Zoom meeting link for the date you choose.
- Sunday Service Afterparty: Remember to join us immediately following the Watch Party via Zoom for the Afterparty (which today will include a time for connection and prayer). You can find a link to join in here.
- Mercy Hill Kids Online Worship: Beginning at 11:30am today! Go here to read more and to find a link to sign in!
- - - - - - -
- Home Groups: Many of our Home Groups are moving to a hybrid (in-person + virtual) format. Whatever your comfort level with meeting, you're welcome to come check one out. Find one to join here. You are not alone!
- COVID-19 SOS Form: If you or anyone you know needs help during this challenging time, we'd love to do what we can!
Title: My House Shall Be a House of Prayer
Text: Luke 19:45-48
Preacher: Nick Weber
Manuscript: If you appreciate following along with written material, you can find today's manuscript here.
- Have you experienced a healthy relationship before? Describe the dynamics. What made it healthy in your estimation?
- What does it mean to you that God wants a relationship with you? What do you think a healthy relationship with Him might look like? Would you say you have that right now or is there something in the way?
- What is your initial reaction to the apparent anger of Jesus here (Luke 19:45-46)? Does it startle you, confuse you, excite you? How do you understand this scene in connection to the one that immediately preceded it in vv. 41-44 with Jesus weeping over Jerusalem? Do you find it strange and bipolar? How can Jesus be both gentle and compassionate and mighty and angry? How do they hold together in Him? What other Scriptures texts might speak into this?
- What is righteous anger? Is it even a thing? Have you ever experienced it? If you're willing, describe the last time you were angry. What was happening? Why were you so upset? How is your anger similar/different to Jesus' anger here?
- Part of what has Jesus so angry is the leaders there in the temple were promoting a move away from a deep and intimate relationship with God towards the stuff of empty religion. They were willing to go through the motions of religious activity, but God did not have their heart. They were using God and religion for personal gain and profit. They didn't want God, but His stuff. Have you felt the drift in your own heart towards this sort of thing? Explain. Where are you at with it right now?
- Jesus gave His life to bring us back to God. There in our text we see that part of what He's trying to re-establish in this relationship is a devotion to prayer ("My house shall be a house of prayer" [v. 46]) and to God's word ("He was teaching daily in the temple" [v. 47]). Why are these two things so critical to a healthy relationship with God? Have you been devoting yourself to them lately? Which is harder for you? What would growth look like?
- In Luke 19:47 we read that "the chief priests and the scribes and the principal men of the people were seeking to destroy him [Jesus]." Why do you think this is? Why is this group so furious while another group is hanging on Jesus' every word (v. 48)? What accounts for the difference? How have you at times in your life been like one group or the other? Which group are you more like today?
Call to Response
If you need prayer in any way, please either: (1) request it during the Watch Party via the "Request Prayer" button; (2) fill out a Connection Card; or (3) post your request to our Mercy Hill Community Facebook Group. We’d love to be lifting you up and caring for you in this time!
If you’d like to give an offering this morning, please check out our Give page to find the best option for you!
Mercy Hill Kids
While difficult, this pandemic does create a wonderful chance for parents to step towards their God-given call as chief disciplers of their kids. We know this may feel overwhelming and that is why we want to help! Parents of Mercy Hill children should have already received an email from the Director of Mercy Hill Kids, Christina Lugo, regarding ways you can utilize the Gospel Project curriculum at home. This information has also been included on our blog here. Beyond this, each Sunday, we are also looking to host an online worship gathering for our kids. You can check here for more details. We'd love to have you join us!
If you have any questions or need help in any way, don't hesitate to reach out to Christina at
Have a Wonderful Week!