May 24, 2020 - Sunday Service Worship Guide
Good morning Mercy Hill! If you're new with us, we just wanted to extend a special welcome to you. Feel free to fill out a Connection Card to get more info or prayer. We're glad to have you with us!
If you're tuning in for the Watch Party, you'll notice that the platform has tabs where you can find today's Worship Guide, read an online Bible, and even chat. While we're meeting virtually like this, we'd encourage everyone to please consider taking a moment to put a comment in the chat box there. Let us know who you are and maybe where you're tuning in from. Say hi. We miss you! And as we get into the message, feel free to share other Scriptures that come to mind, prayer requests that you have, questions that you'd like answered, etc. It would be great to interact even in this limited format.
Here are a few critical announcements to keep in mind:
- Men of Prayer Video Series: Mercy Hill men! Let's stay connected through this lock down period. Come join us for an 8-week Zoom video series starting this Tuesday, May 26th @ 4:30-5:30 pm. In this one-hour session, men will view a new men’s video series (Mighty Men of Prayer) which covers 8 key topics for modern Christian men and their lives. After the 15-minute video, the session will be facilitated through key questions for follow-up discussion and prayer. You can find more info and sign up here.
- Sunday Service Afterparty: Remember to join us immediately following the Watch Party via Zoom for the Afterparty (which today will include a time for connections and prayer). You can find a link to join in here.
- Mercy Hill Kids Online Worship: Beginning at 11:30am today! Go here to read more and to find a link to sign in!
- - - - - - -
- Home Groups: All groups have now moved to a virtual format. Find one to join here. You are not alone!
- COVID-19 SOS Form: If you or anyone you know needs help during this challenging time, we'd love to do what we can!
- Neighborhood Care Cards: With the shelter-in-place order extending for yet another month, please consider making use of these cards as a way of reaching out to and serving your neighbors. You can get more info regarding these in the last section of this post.
Title: Do Not Be Afraid . . . God Will Fulfill His Purpose for You! (Part 1)
Text: Acts 27
Preacher: Nick Weber
Manuscript: If you appreciate following along with written material, you can find today's manuscript here.
- If you had to describe the last couple months of your life, what would you say? What metaphor captures the way you've been feeling? Has it felt like climbing a mountain, walking in the woods, sprinting a marathon, or even getting shipwrecked? Explain.
- Read Acts 27:20 again. Have you ever felt like this? Have you ever been in such a place of despair? In what ways can you relate to this even now (let's be honest, on this side of heaven we are always facing hardships and temptations to abandon hope)?
- Now read vv. 21-26 once more. What stands out to you? What comfort do you find here? What speaks into the struggles you are currently facing?
- Pursuing our independence and freedom apart from God actually leads to spiritual slavery. Why is this? How have you experienced it to be true? Oppositely (and ironically!), belonging to God is the key to personal freedom. Why do you think this is? In what ways have you experienced this to be true as well?
- We are not always told explicitly what God's specific purpose and plan for our lives on earth is. We know the general principles and commands of Scripture, but few of us have probably had an experience like Paul where God spells it out for us in such detail (cf. Galatians 1:15-16). Holding your opinion with an open hand, what do you think God's purpose for you is? Why are you here? What his He doing with you? What gifts has He given you? How does He want to use them for the advance of His kingdom? What works has He prepared beforehand for you to walk in (cf. Ephesians 2:10)? Spend time praying and asking God for more clarity on these things.
- Even in the midst of the chaos—with the wind still howling about them, with the waves still crashing upon them—because they had a promise from God, those on the ship could pause, rest, and enjoy a meal together. This week try to do the same. Identify a promise from Scripture that speaks to your heart. Consider writing it on a notecard or sheet of paper and setting it at the center of your dining room table. Then sit down with your family, or those you’ve been sheltering in place with, or get on a zoom call with a close friend, and, in light of that promise, eat together, relax together. Let the meal linger into the night. Don't worry about the wind whirling about your life. Don’t obsess so much over the waves. Don’t be anxious about what’s going to come tomorrow. Do not be afraid. You can sabbath in the storm. God has you!
Call to Response
If you need prayer in any way, please either: (1) request it during the Watch Party via the "Request Prayer" button; (2) fill out a Connection Card; or (3) post your request to our Mercy Hill Community Facebook Group. We’d love to be lifting you up and caring for you in this time!
If you’d like to give an offering this morning, please check out our Give page to find the best option for you!
Mercy Hill Kids
While difficult, this pandemic does create a wonderful chance for parents to step towards their God-given call as chief disciplers of their kids. We know this may feel overwhelming and that is why we want to help! Parents of Mercy Hill children should have already received an email from the Director of Mercy Hill Kids, Christina Lugo, regarding ways you can utilize the Gospel Project curriculum at home. This information has also been included on our blog here. Beyond this, each Sunday, we are also looking to host an online worship gathering for our kids. You can check here for more details. We'd love to have you join us!
If you have any questions or need help in any way, don't hesitate to reach out to Christina at
Have a Wonderful Week!