June 21, 2020 - Sunday Service Worship Guide
Good morning Mercy Hill and happy Father's Day to you! If you're new with us, we just wanted to extend a special welcome to you. Feel free to fill out a Connection Card to get more info or prayer. We're glad to have you with us!
If you're tuning in for the Watch Party, you'll notice that the platform has tabs where you can find today's Worship Guide, read an online Bible, and even chat. While we're meeting virtually like this, we'd encourage everyone to please consider taking a moment to put a comment in the chat box there. Let us know who you are and maybe where you're tuning in from. Say hi. We miss you! And as we get into the message, feel free to share other Scriptures that come to mind, prayer requests that you have, questions that you'd like answered, etc. It would be great to interact even in this limited format.
Here are a few critical announcements to keep in mind:
- Mercy Hill's Reopening Plan & Guidelines: We have begun formulating our own plan for reopening as a church and have created this document to provide a few guidelines and updates. It will be housed on our website's COVID-19 page and updated as things develop. Please look it over!
- All Church Prayer Cancelled: This upcoming Sunday's All Church Prayer meeting will be cancelled due to Father's Day. We hope everyone enjoys the time off to appreciate the father's out there!
- Men's DNA Group: Pursuing Peace: "You have conflict in your life—we all do. You encounter it in your home, your workplace, your school, or even your church. All around us tensions exist and disputes persist. Offered here is a step-by-step process for pursuing peace in ALL your relationships and a tool you can use to help others." Art Martinez has just started a new book in his DNA group and welcomes any men from Mercy Hill to join! The group will be going through Pursuing Peace: A Christian Guide to Handling Our Conflicts. Look forward to a blessed time of fellowship, prayer, and accountability every Sunday for 12 weeks from 8:30-9:45 am starting June 21st. To learn more and sign up, head to this link here. If you have further questions, contact Art at
- Women's Summer Backyard Bible Study: As the Shelter-in-Place rules are eased up this summer (Lord willing!), please join us and reunite with other Mercy Hill ladies as together we study and discuss God’s Word in a relaxing, safe (social distanced) environment. Bring your face mask, your own water to drink, and enter through a side gate to gather safely in one another’s backyards. We will begin meeting on Tuesday evenings every other week from 7:30-9:00 pm, beginning June 23rd at Debbie Griego’s house. If you'd prefer a zoom meeting option or would like to open up your backyard for gathering, you can add those details through the RSVP form. You can find more info and the form to RSVP here.
- Sunday Service Afterparty: Remember to join us immediately following the Watch Party via Zoom for the Afterparty (which today will include a time for connections and prayer). You can find a link to join in here.
- Mercy Hill Kids Online Worship: Beginning at 11:30am today! Go here to read more and to find a link to sign in!
- - - - - - -
- Home Groups: Many of our Home Groups are moving to a hybrid (in-person + virtual) format. Whatever your comfort level with meeting, you're welcome to come check one out. Find one to join here. You are not alone!
- COVID-19 SOS Form: If you or anyone you know needs help during this challenging time, we'd love to do what we can!
Title: Happy Father's Day—How Goes the Mission?
Text: Matthew 14:22-33
Preacher: Mike Griego
Handout: If you appreciate following along with written material, you can find today's handout here.
- Which one of the 4 groups would you most identify with on Mount Sinai (See Exodus 24:1-18)—(1) Very Distant (Israelites); (2) Close but Still Distant (Elders); (3) Joshua (Seeking and Learning); (4) Moses (Walking with God)?
- Which part of the Matthew 14 passage of Jesus walking on the water struck you in a most impactful way when consider the 4 points highlighted in the sermon? Why?—(1) God Leads and Directs – Are you following? (2) Man Fears – Do you fear? (3) Jesus Calls – Are you listening? (4) Jesus is God – Do you believe?
- As a father, which one or more of the 5 Essentials for Fathers are you most comfortable? Which one(s) least comfortable?
- How do the 5 Essentials for Fathers apply to your own father?
A Father’s Prayer
Lord, I’m so thankful for the family You have given me. Thank you for (name your wife and each child and grandchild). I surrender all that I have and all that we are to You this day. Bless my family today, for as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. May each of us experience all the love and favor that You, the Good Father, would shower upon Your children. May we all have eyes to see and hearts to take in what You would have for us today. Give us each the opportunity to fulfill what You desire of us now and throughout our lives. Prepare us in mind, body, soul and spirit to be Your instruments for peace, love and impact in a needy world. Direct us on a path today that You have prepared. Keep us from distractions that would have us straying to the right or to the left, but on a focused path straight and true. Protect us all from physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual harm from enemies seen and unseen. May we be covered by Your hand so we may continue to grow and prosper as worthy servants of Your Kingdom. Give me strength and wisdom to lead this family in the ways of the Lord today and as long as You would have me in this role on this earth. Thank You, Jesus, for what You have done and what You are doing through my family today and for generations to come. I give You all the praise and honor. Amen.
Call to Response
If you need prayer in any way, please either: (1) request it during the Watch Party via the "Request Prayer" button; (2) fill out a Connection Card; or (3) post your request to our Mercy Hill Community Facebook Group. We’d love to be lifting you up and caring for you in this time!
If you’d like to give an offering this morning, please check out our Give page to find the best option for you!
Mercy Hill Kids
While difficult, this pandemic does create a wonderful chance for parents to step towards their God-given call as chief disciplers of their kids. We know this may feel overwhelming and that is why we want to help! Parents of Mercy Hill children should have already received an email from the Director of Mercy Hill Kids, Christina Lugo, regarding ways you can utilize the Gospel Project curriculum at home. This information has also been included on our blog here. Beyond this, each Sunday, we are also looking to host an online worship gathering for our kids. You can check here for more details. We'd love to have you join us!
If you have any questions or need help in any way, don't hesitate to reach out to Christina at
Have a Wonderful Week!