Good morning Mercy Hill and happy Sunday to you! If you're new with us, we just wanted to extend a special welcome to you. Feel free to fill out a Connection Card to get more info or prayer. We're glad to have you with us!
If you're tuning in for the Watch Party, you'll notice that the platform has tabs where you can find today's Worship Guide, read an online Bible, and even chat. While we're meeting virtually like this, we'd encourage everyone to please consider taking a moment to put a comment in the chat box there. Let us know who you are and maybe where you're tuning in from. Say hi. We miss you! And as we get into the message, feel free to share other Scriptures that come to mind, prayer requests that you have, questions that you'd like answered, etc. It would be great to interact even in this limited format.
Here are a few critical announcements to keep in mind:
- All Church Prayer Meeting: Today's All Church Prayer meeting will be hosted in-person at the Wilson's residence and will take place in their yard for a safe, socially-distanced meeting (RSVP required below). If you need the location details you can request that when you RSVP and a member of our team will get back to you. For any planning to attend, we ask that you please respect the county's guidelines by committing to self-screen before arrival and socially distance and wear a mask while present. We know this is hard, but we thank you in advance for your understanding! For more on this, you can check out our reopening document here. To RSVP, please fill out the form here. (Note: we may have to cap attendance, so be sure to register as soon as you can to save your seat!)
Mercy Hill Youth Online Hangout: All Mercy Hill Youth are invited for an online hangout after service next Sunday, September 13th! Come spend an hour catching up in fellowship, prayer, and sharing. We look forward to seeing you there! We will be meeting using Zoom's video conferencing platform - you can find the details for joining the meeting here.
- Sunday Service Afterparty: Remember to join us immediately following the Watch Party via Zoom for the Afterparty (which today will include a time for connection and prayer). You can find a link to join in here.
- Mercy Hill Kids Online Worship: Beginning at 11:30am today! Go here to read more and to find a link to sign in!
- - - - - - -
- Home Groups: Many of our Home Groups are moving to a hybrid (in-person + virtual) format. Whatever your comfort level with meeting, you're welcome to come check one out. Find one to join here. You are not alone!
- COVID-19 SOS Form: If you or anyone you know needs help during this challenging time, we'd love to do what we can!
Title: “Render to Caesar”: The Christian and the State (Part 1)
Text: Luke 20:19-26
Preacher: Nick Weber
Manuscript: If you appreciate following along with written material, you can find today's manuscript here.
- How are you responding to all the political turmoil these days? Note both your external reactions (what you are saying, doing, etc.) and those things that are going on in your heart (what you are feeling, thinking, wanting, fearing, etc.). Explain.
- Have you ever tried to hide from God? Are there ways in which you are hiding from Him even now? Why? What do you hope to gain? What are you afraid to lose?
- Which of the four options Nick gives in this sermon best characterize the way you've been relating to the government and political sphere lately (Antagonism, Compromise, Withdrawal, Redemptive Representation)?
- Read Jesus' response in verse 25 again. How do you interpret this? How might this apply to your own engagement with politics, elections, etc.?
- How does Jesus show us a better way in all of this? What do you think Nick meant by "Redemptive Representation"? What would it look like to redemptively represent Jesus out in the public square today?
Call to Response
If you need prayer in any way, please either: (1) request it during the Watch Party via the "Request Prayer" button; (2) fill out a Connection Card; or (3) post your request to our Mercy Hill Community Facebook Group. We’d love to be lifting you up and caring for you in this time!
If you’d like to give an offering this morning, please check out our Give page to find the best option for you!
Mercy Hill Kids
While difficult, this pandemic does create a wonderful chance for parents to step towards their God-given call as chief disciplers of their kids. We know this may feel overwhelming and that is why we want to help! Parents of Mercy Hill children should have already received an email from the Director of Mercy Hill Kids, Christina Lugo, regarding ways you can utilize the Gospel Project curriculum at home. This information has also been included on our blog here. Beyond this, each Sunday, we are also looking to host an online worship gathering for our kids. You can check here for more details. We'd love to have you join us!
If you have any questions or need help in any way, don't hesitate to reach out to Christina at
Have a Wonderful Week!